In this blog we are going to follow the family of Edouard Royer, my 2nd great grandfather, born in Quebec, Canada in 1862.
Edouard is the son of a Cultivateur, which is french for farmer. He is not attending school. Others in the household include his father Vital age 39 and his mother Marcelline age 28; his five brothers Vital age 13, Lazare age 12, Francois X. age 9, David age 5, and Siré age 1 and one sister Eliza age 3. Everyone is the household is listed as Catholic and of French Origin.
Edouard is the son of a Cultivateur, which is french for farmer. He is not attending school. Others in the household include his father Vital age 45; his six brothers Vital age 23, Lazare age 22, Xavier (formally listed as Francois X.) age 20, David age 15, Nérée (formally listed as Siré) age 11, Alfred age 6 and one sister Lysa (formally listed as Eliza) age 13. Everyone is the household is listed as Catholic and of French Origin.
Edouard’s occupation is listed as a farmer (Cultivateur) and he appears to own his own farm, as he is recorded as being an employer vs. a wage earner. Everyone is the household is listed as Roman Catholic.
- Edouard has now moved out of his father’s home. Based on additional research, Edouard’s father vital passed away on May 10, 1881, shortly after appearing in the 1881 census.
- Edouard has married Amaryllis (recorded as Amardice on the census). Based on additional research Edouard and Amaryllis were married on May 19, 1890 in Armagh, Bellechasse, Quebec, Canada
- Edouard and Amaryllis had one child. Edward Royer was born in March of 1881
- Edouard now appears to own his own farm and may employ others
- Edouard and his family have emigrated from Canada to America. Based on additional research, this emigration happened between 1894 and 1896.
- Three new children are included in the family, Xavier age 7, Regina age 4 and Alexander age 1. These children were born in Michigan
- Edouard is not listed as a farmer, but instead is listed as a cedar maker.
- Edouard owns his own home, free of mortgage, but is no longer living on a farm
- Edouard and his family have moved from Newton, Mackinac, Michigan to Rudyard, Chippewa, Michigan.
- Three new children are included in the family, Joseph age 9, Adalard age 5 and Amedee (listed as Raphael) age 3.
- Edouard is again listed as a farmer, owning his own farm for which he has a mortgage.
I've heard that:
You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.